Sunday, December 26, 2010

Pho and Mopeds

I think it's worth a trip to Saigon just to eat pho every breakfast, lunch and dinner and watch the moped brigades clog the streets at rush hour.  In the morning and late afternoon, when the brigades are at full strength, the busier streets are flooded with a mass of humanity akin to the chaotic surge and squeeze of the thousands of marathon runners on the Verezano Bridge at the start of the NYC marathon.  It is no less a spectacle than seeing the largest mountains in the world.

I realized today that my blog yesterday about the food markets may have been somewhat ambiguous.  There are the food markets where raw produce, meats and fish are sold -- that is the kind of market to which I referred yesterday.  The other kind of food market which are pervasive throughout asia are those where delicious asian meals like pad thai and pho can be bought for dirt cheap.  We've had some of our best meals in the markets, for a mere dollar or two. 

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking of you, Paul, this morning as I had to make my own grilled ham & cheese sandwich. Sounds like you are having a good time.

    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds oh so good. I was thinking of the family on x-mas eve, noshing on delicious armenian food. I hope it was good as it is every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, Laura, Kerry & Jeff did a great job with the food. Lahmajoon, cheesebread, madzoon soup, kufta, eech, bourma. All was yummy!!

    ReplyDelete